30+ Years in large scale reverse engineering, marketing technology, discrete event simulation, database design and administration, compilers, distributed computing, graphics, web applications, GUI design, UNIX/Linux administration, scrum teaming and mastering, large scale C++ application development, content management systems, Kubernetes/Docker, GCP Networking and enterprise architecture.
Rail Network 3D Panorama Inspection
(06/2022 - 10/2022)
IronRoad - Consulting engineering company specializing in the simulation
SmartNetwork Cloud Architect
(01/2020 - 12/2022)
CN Transportation Services - Working with the rail Network Planning group as part of larger digital transformation of company
- Reverse engineered legacy application for "walking" the rail network via 3D panoramas.
- Architected/implemented ground up multi-user Angular application with Google SSO integration.
- Optimized GCP cluster, CDN and buckets for cost savings, security and performance.
- Implemented geography based schema in PostgreSQL, leveraging PostGIS.
- Integrated with BigQuery for modular hand off of raw panorama data (millions of images).
Train Deployment Simulation
(02/2019 - 12/2019)
CN Transportation Services - Working with the rail Network Planning group Achievements/Tasks
- Architected/implemented Pub/Sub, CloudRun based highly scalable "Pay for Play" simulation system.
- Architected/implemented routing protocol for fault-tolerant parallel processing of hundreds of simulations at a time.
- Architected/implemented framework for BigQuery data warehouse.
- Architected/implemented "data bridge" between legacy enterprise data sources and BigQuery.
- Designed, optimized and sustained simulation supporting GCP/Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Lowered costs via managed GCP infrastructure instead of on premise data center.
Technical Team Lead
(01/2010 - 12/2022)
Dehumidified Air Solutions - Provides enterprise level HVAC systems Achievements/Tasks
- Reverse engineered a legacy DES train deployment simulation engine based on SimScript II.5/III.
- Architect and core developer on new C++ based DES simulation engine.
- Architect and core developer for "one click install" WAMP stack providing GUI and engine.
- Leveraged many COTS frameworks; Boost++, ThreeJS, SQLite, SOCI, Angular/TypeScript.
- Implemented high scale train movement graphing with video card acceleration in web browser.
- Provided key business intelligence to executive management via simulation data.
Point of Sale Licensed Software Distribution
(05/2017 - 03/2019)
Precision EFI - Provider of custom tuning software for high performance engines Achievements/Tasks
- Guided team through agile sustaining of marketing applications and integrations.
- Architect and core developer for WordPress SSO integration with enterprise OAuth.
- Architect and core developer for on demand sales video transcription service (AWS + Zencoder).
- Architect and core developer for WordPress plugins, providing key sales data to sales associates.
- Architect and core developer for enterprise integration of a Learning Management System.
- Architect and core developer for integration with external marketing tools (i.e. ActiveCampaign).
Enterprise Tooling & Dev/Ops Avaya
(11/2009 - 01/2019)
Avaya - VoIP services provider
- Architect and core developer of multi-user software licensing portal/store.
- Raspberry PI "Kiosk" software that connects engines via CAN bus to the portal via internet.
- Development of common (OSI like) framework for communicating with various engines.
- Designed and implemented PostgresQL schema, with an ORM layer.
SDE Portfolio Evolution
(01/2007 - 11/2009)
- Managed suite of DEV/OPs tools (such as JIRA, Bamboo, Sonar etc).
- Developed various plugins for DEV/OPs tools to integrate with enterprise.
- Architect and core developer for enterprise ALM / CMS.
- Championed scrum and agility.
- Built out AWS cloud integration.
- Architect and core Designer of monitoring / reporting and dashboard.
Rogue Wave Technical Prime
(08/2000 - 08/2008)
- Selected and managed corporate design tool sets.
- Provided technical analysis and recommendations.
- Managed technical support, patching and deployments for various vendors.
(10/1995 - 12/1998)
- Responsible for managing enterprise relationship with vendor
- Managed internal web portal for vendor resources
- Worked with vendor to managing patching and deployment
(05/1993 - 10/1994)
- Guided team through technical challenges.
- Served as core developer and architect of highly scalable backend services.
- Architect of frameworks for high speed large scale indexing and code parsing.
- Travelled to India for Pre-Sales engineering.
- Accountable for several releases of tool sets across the enterprise.
- Practised agility and 360 feedback.
- Worked up Motif/X11 GUIs
- Learned Berkley socket programming
- Presented at technical conferences
- Developed data models for large scale reverse engineering
Patent US 6886161 B1
(04/2005 - 04/2005)
A method for compressing source code cross reference information as a sparse bitmap.
Professional Scrum Master 1
(09/2018 - 09/2018)
Certiﬁed by Scrum.org
Master of Applied Science, Computer Engineering (Carleton University)
(09/1996 - 09/2002)
Bachelor of Systems & Computer Engineering, Computer Engineering (Carleton University)
(09/1990 - 09/1995)
Research Assistant, Computer Engineering (Carleton University)
(09/1992 - 09/1993)
Club President Ottawa Inline Skating Club
(09/2008 - 09/2009)
Worked with club board of directors to organize club activities and operations. At the time, Canada's largest inline club!
Webmaster Ottawa Inline Skating Club
(09/2006 - 09/2007)
Club webmaster, sustained and improved club website.
Royal Canadian Army Cadets (RCAC)
(01/1984 - 01/1989)
As a member of the RCAC I developed a strong sense of drive and discipline.